Re: [Asrg] ASRG work items

2003-03-09 16:59:48
Please forgive me if I restate what has already been discussed.  I have
spent the afternoon going through the mail archive, but I could not
possibly read every message.

On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 14:38, Paul Judge wrote:

Milestones/Deliverables:
1. problem statement/ requirements document

Keith Moore and Balachander Krishnamurthy have started a good thread
on
"requirements for a proposed solution + notion of consent" (also
called
"evaluating proposals against requirements").

I would like to comment on the first milestone.  It seems to me that
there is considerable disagreement on even so simple a matter as the
amount of spam with forged addresses.  I believe that one of the first
items which should be addressed is a quantitative assessment of the
methods and varieties of spam.  Part of this would be a standard spam
corpus against which filters could be tested.  But there should be other
quantitative activities as well.  The spam messages in the corpus are
only a part of the data.  Log file entries related to those messages
should also be recorded and maintained for analysis.  For instance, what
percentage of spam messages really do come from open relays in this day
and age?  Can anyone say for certain?  Where is the data to determine
this?

I suggest that an early goal for ASRG should be to develop and
distribute a standard set of spam collection and analysis tools.  These
tools should be suitable for instrumenting servers (either production
mail servers or honeypots) and building an extensive database of spam
for analysis.  No source of information should be ignored.  Everything
should be recorded, the message, the server logs and all related TCP
packets.

Of course, great care would need to be taken to protect the privacy of
the spam recipients.  Honeypots may be the only viable method for this
level of data collection.  In fact, I would recommend a network of
honepots in different TLDs and geographic locations.

I hope this suggestion is useful.

Fred Bacon
Senior Scientist
Aerodyne Research, Inc.