Re: [Asrg] DCC and IP checksums

2003-03-10 12:06:12
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Hadmut Danisch wrote:

Spam:
   Few attackers, many defenders. It's like a shark in a cluster
   of fishes. The rabbit's defense method will fail for the fishes.

No, not at all.  It works for *most* of the fish.

   That's why adaptive hash techniques requiring the defenders to
   change their "secret formula" or to upgrade their software
   continuously are doomed to fail. Sorry.

It depends what you mean by "fail".  If you mean "never stop much spam",
then I think you're wrong.  If you mean "become ineffective after a certain
period of time", then you're right.

I haven't seen an anti-spam tool or proposal that's (a) practical and
(b) will retain its effectiveness for a long time (let's say more than
a year) without updates, and I'm not holding my breath.

--
David.