RE: [Asrg] DCC and IP checksums

2003-03-10 11:33:17
Reading some of the spams I receive I found that many of them seem
to be sent with the very same software and address list. There are
billions of spam, but only a few spamming tools. All it takes is just
a simple software upgrade to the next version of the tools to defeat
that hash method. Once spammers learn how to do it, all spammers will
know how to do it. There is not significant number of "low-hanging
fruit".

But consider what happens when you use mobile code to describe the
hash function. You can respond to the circumvention techniques as
the spam senders apply them.

This is how satelite TV companies keep card piracy at acceptable levels.
PThey don't shut off a pirate card immediately, they let a number
of customers develop then they kill it when doing so does maximum
damage to the pirate's reputation.

Even though the script kiddies do have access to ever better tools
the white hats are almost always ahead.

The apamware companies have a big problem that script writers do not,
they want to make money from their code. So it takes them much longer
to react than the opposition.

                Phill