RE: [Asrg] DCC and IP checksums

2003-03-10 15:17:19
At 8:49 AM -0800 3/10/03, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Looking at the various spam gangs on the net there are
major differences in the level of sophistication. The
Nigerian gangs don't appear to have got much beyond working
out how to use CAPS LOCK. You can detect a risible proportion
of Nigerian letters simply by scanning for 'modalities of the
transaction'.

In the end, "content filtering" is another word for "natural language processing". And while I know several NLP folks looking for jobs, I don't really think that's a good long term direction.

I see a few uses for content filtering.

1. Short term limitation of the spam problem.
2. Aid in forcing spammers into areas where simple authentication works, while we transition to a more complex authentication system. 3. Content filtering. Cases where your goal is actually to filter content, not eliminate spam. E.g. to ensure that Ashcroft doesn't get any mail with the word "chicken breast" in it.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.