Re: [Asrg] Proposal ....

2003-03-12 19:36:19
On Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003, at 14:36 US/Eastern, Jason Hihn wrote:
Imagine the server you are picking up from isn't honest. It's a spammers server. They now know the email they sent to was valid. Congrats, you've just verified your email, and that is worth double on the spam market.

...assuming the current spam market and current infrastructure.

Knowing a million people's e-mail addresses is worth zip if you can't deliver spam to them without the sending machine's network connection being wiped out, sysadmins alerted, and the sending machine either cleared of spam or firewalled by an upstream ISP.

Besides, my e-mail address has been the same for ten years. It's "verified" a thousand times over. That's what makes it useful. The apparent need to keep your e-mail address secret is one of the problems of spam we should be trying to solve.

mathew