RE: [Asrg] Proposal ....

2003-03-13 04:51:04
When the mail client sends a message, it only goes as
far as their local mail server.  The local mail server
stores the body of the message and then
sends the header on to the recipient with a ID through
which the body may be picked up.

When the header arrives at the destination, the client
on the other side downloads the body of the message from
the specified host.
Imagine the server you are picking up from isn't honest.
It's a spammers server.
They now know the email they sent to was valid. Congrats,
you've just verified your email, and that is worth double
on the spam market.

The proposal make sense, you want them to be there.  Today
we run away
from giving out our email becuase we will be spammed without
an mercy.

But if you know where the spammer is, you can take counter
measures, you can
use better filters, use alternative solutions such as
postage, certs, etc..

If you look at the paper presented by Phillip Hallam-Baker
you will see that

"90% of the emails did not have a valid sender address.
These emails could be excluded if there were some mechanism
that allowed validation of sender addresses"

So a system that will call back will make them stick.  I
have dealt with spam for years, and I never got stats, but I
always felt that if I was able to go back and get the
messages fro them, instead of autmatically take the junk,
then it will be a fair game for all.  They get to deal with
serving it to me, and I will galdly take it, as long as it
is not put on my door step 300,000 messages a day...