Re: [Asrg] Proposal ....

2003-03-12 19:22:46
On Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003, at 13:32 US/Eastern, Art Pollard wrote:
I recently made a proposal over at slashdot which seemed to garner a fair amount of support.
[details deleted]

That's basically the idea I had, which I alluded to in a previous message. As I say, the problem is how we get from here to there... I think it would need to replace SMTP, not be layered on top of it.

2) The system administrator on the other end will have time to "cancel" the message before it arrives at most of the recipients mailboxes. (i.e., the sysadmin looks and George has 20,000,000 messages in the outbox waiting to be picked up. The sysadmin looks at the messages, sees they are spam, then he nukes them.)

And the asshat system administrators who leave their systems as open relays will get a "slashdot effect" of spam, as 100,000 spam victims call to collect the sales pitch, saturating the open relay machine's network connection and maybe even taking it down. Chances are, most of the victims' machines will be unable to get through, and so the spam won't appear to those people.

This solves the fundamental problem of SMTP, which is that the cost of having an open relay isn't borne by the idiot who has it. Blacklists have attempted to shift the cost onto the enabler, but by changing the protocol, you make it inherent that the enabler pays the network cost.

3) If the messages are nuked before they are picked up, the message header is simply thrown away by the mail client or written to a log or put in a special mailbox or ... in either case, it is totally transparent to the end user and the end user never even knows they have been spammed.

Yeah. My idea was to have the user client throw out messages if it couldn't collect them after a certain time period.

Basically, you change e-mail from push to pull; your e-mail client becomes somewhat like an RSS feed reader.

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>