Re: [Asrg] Proposal ....

2003-03-13 20:46:20
On Thursday, Mar 13, 2003, at 08:38 US/Eastern, Matt Sergeant wrote:
On Thursday, Mar 13, 2003, at 02:16 Europe/London, mathew wrote:
And the asshat system administrators who leave their systems as open relays will get a "slashdot effect" of spam, as 100,000 spam victims call to collect the sales pitch, saturating the open relay machine's network connection and maybe even taking it down. Chances are, most of the victims' machines will be unable to get through, and so the spam won't appear to those people.

Why wouldn't the spammer do what he does now, and deposit his email on 1000 open relays, making it only 100 connections to the victim's machine (which just looks like a prolific poster)?

Well, if he can get a list of that many open relays, yes he can do it. However, this system can be used in association with open relay blocklists, and in practice it would need to be. The advantage over what we have today is that it vastly narrows the window of opportunity for the spammer.

Today, you connect, send 100,000 spams, and vanish. If the machine you used as an open relay gets added to the blocklist, you don't care, 'cause the spam was already sent.

With reader-fetch, if the open relay gets blocked before I next check my mail, I never see the spam.

This brings in the interesting tradeoff that you could reduce the amount of spam by making e-mail slower. Some people would still check mail every 5 minutes, and would get more spam that way. I'd come home from work and log in, and a lot of the spam would already have been blocked during the day by diligent sysadmins.

There's also the filtering factor--if you narrow the field to spammers who can find 1,000 open relays, you've already filtered out all but the most dedicated spammers. I mean, a lot of the spam I get is from people who can't work out how to send HTML e-mail...

mathew