RE: [Asrg] Position paper, in zipped HTML

2003-03-15 22:35:06
 BL "Listing all
of UUNET?"
- flat out false.  No even remotely respectable blacklist has
ever done so.

SPEWS listed VeriSign labs because it was on a UUNET address.

Case closed, no appeal.

SPEWS makes a point of never justifying itself to anyone, if they want
to correct any statement they believe false they can speak for themselves.

[Oft-stated rumours and claims, but turn out to be just plain wrong.
Tend to have their origin in journalists being mislead by spammers.]

No, irate customers whose email was blocked for reasons that we had no
control over.

Re: Email Infrastructure [re: X.400 and UUCP]: "apparently
technically
sophisticated enough to use email but not sophisticated enough to use
1980s technology.".  Ahem.  Unnecessary, gratuitous (and IMHO
uneducated) insult.

SMTP does have problems, we should fix them.

X.400 is not the answer.

Re: Opt-out lists.  You skipped several arguments: if every
company in
the US spammed you just once over the course of a year, you'd have to
opt-out 650 times per day.

Good point, I was trying to suggest a central opt-out list for that
reason but never actually stated it.

I think I should be able to opt out once and get off every list.

Last paragraph in that section makes no logical sense.

I think the comments about "fake originator" addresses isn't in the
least sustainable by thorough statistical investigation.
90%?  Not in
our feed.

It depends on the definition of fake. For the sample I examined the
emails had not come through the domains that they claimed.

                Phill