Re: [Asrg] Position paper, in zipped HTML

2003-03-17 08:46:35
Kee Hinckley wrote:
At 10:45 PM -0500 3/16/03, Chris Lewis wrote:

Rodney's list immediately showed why no-one will ever accept a global opt-out list: within a week, domains comprising on the order of 60 million email address had opted out.

Actually opted out, or had someone wrote a program to do it?

Actually opted-out. AOL had opted out (there's half in one swell foop) as did several other major ISPs. So did we (only(!) half a million addresses).

There was a confirmation method wired in for domains, but I forget the details. SafeEPS was decommissioned some time ago in favour of the DMA eMPS system, but the eMPS system was never as good as SafeEPS. Eg: despite eMPS at one point supporting domain-wide opt-out (perhaps specifically to shut me up), it's not clear that it was ever generally available - last I looked the _possibility_ of doing it isn't visible _anywhere_ on eMPS.

One questions whether eMPS has ever blocked a single piece of email...

eMPS is 100% incontrovertible evidence that a voluntary opt-out list will _NEVER_ work to reduce spam.

Massachusetts has a new opt-out web interface for phone spam. It verifies the phone number using your address. Writing software to opt-out virtually everyone in the state would not be that hard.

Unless you did confirmation properly. Why wouldn't you use confirmation techniques? Marketers would insist on it - and I have no problem with granting them that wish.

Unfortunately (or not) it turns out that opt-out lists have the same problem as email in general. No authentication.

And the same solutions. Ie: confirmation. With only one (or a few) _useful_ opt-out lists, implementing and deploying is trivial.

SafeEPS was about as perfect as an opt-out list could _ever_ be. But it died. Its replacement hasn't made a difference to anyone's mailbox as far as anyone can determine.

Hence my original point, opt-out lists will never fly if the marketers have anything to say about it.

I assume that's why opting out of phone spam (the marketing opt-out list, not the one the feds are setting up) is free if you send them a letter, but costs $5 if you do it on-line. Authentication by level of effort. Although the claim is that the $5 is to cover costs.

There are regulatory issues, where a system may be predicated upon the idea of a "free" snail mail unsubscribe is legally required, whereas an online one "for convenience" is fair game for a (modest) processing fee. The $5 fee also short-cuts authentication requirements, but a confirmation mechanism would serve just as well.