Re: [Asrg] Position paper, in zipped HTML

2003-03-16 14:14:15

Actually there's a problem with global opt-out lists.  They're global.

For instance. Does my putting my address on one keep Adobe from sending me the product updates I asked for? And if not, what keeps every other company from claiming some prior business relationship.

I think this is a key point. there's a group of people who see all e-marketing stuff (company to user in some form or another) as junk mail to be nuked, just as there's a group in the paper world who see paper junk mail as something to be dumped (even though in the paper world, the commercial mailings subsidize a lot of the postal service costs).

Most people, though, aren't that polarized. There are things they want. This stuff isn't part of a binary world of "all good" or "all bad", so these global opt-outs or simplistic definitions.

So how do you turn this into a "do what I want" system? I dunno. Because I want my Amazon updates, I want my vendor info. I don't want to go to a global site in an attempt to get the spam out of my life and find the spam still coming, but all of the companies I want to hear from disappearing.

As an alternative for this kind of e-marketing chaos, I'd think about some kind of central site for managing unsubscriptions. E-marketing publications can be registered there and carry a unique identifier for the publication. So if a user wants off a list, they could go to www.unsubscribme.com, plop in their identifier and the publication identifier, and the unsubscribe happens. In return for signing up, that site manages an e-marketing whitelist for the publications, and a complaint management/conflict resolution process for those publications. The e-marketer gets whitelisted by being part of it, but has to keep their complaint volume down, and has to manage the unsubscribe requests accurately and timely, or risk losing the whitelisting. Users get a consistent subscription management interface and a third party to help with problem resolutionl. Lots of carrots, with sticks in the closet if needed. ISPs get someone pre-screening e-mail, so it can route around the spam processing sstuff and reduce their processing/server needs, simplifying their life.

e-marketing e-mail bonding. Funded through fees on the e-marketers, and fines on ones that go out of spec on their complaint levels.

That could work, be scaleable, and help get the chaos in the e-mrketing world (on both sides, since the e-marketers are being driven crazy by stupid spam filtering and would love to see this stuff cleaned up, too) under control -- which makes it easier to go and work on some other part of this whole problem... IMHO, there's no "single" solution here, since there's no "single" problem. So grab a chunk of the problem, find a solution, and move on to the next...

all IMHO...

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/