Re: [Asrg] Position paper, in zipped HTML

2003-03-16 21:47:55

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 07:48  PM, Chris Lewis wrote:

Much simpler than that. "opt-out", whether global or otherwise, is clearly only intended for unsolicited email. Why would opting out of unsolicited email affect that which you have solicited?

You'd be amazed at the number of people who sign up for something, then complain about the spam when they get their first copy. Or forget that they agreed to accept postings when they (a) went to a web site, (b) registered a product, (c) name your favorite.

And these aren't deceptive forms like some sites. some are "not subscribed unless they get selected" -- and I've still spent time with people who acknowledge going through the forms and still say things are unsolicited. (shrug). and people forget what they did, too.

Unsolicited is a lot less well-defined than I'd like, unfortunately... I wish it was.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/