[Asrg] Experience with "soliciting" spam

2003-03-17 10:05:08
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com> wrote:
And these aren't deceptive forms like some sites. some are "not
subscribed unless they get selected" -- and I've still spent time with
people who acknowledge going through the forms and still say things are
unsolicited. (shrug). and people forget what they did, too.

  I've used a number of on-line forms for allegedly reputable
business, where they give an "opt-in" checkbox on their forms.  That
would helkp, except that they make every effort to set the "opt-in"
checkbox.  If you miss a field in the form, they give you a chance to
re-enter, and reset *only* the opt-in checkbox.  When you get to the
"verify information" stage, you discover that it's been checked again.

  To me, "opt-out" means "I opt out once, and you listen".  Not "I've
got to opt out 5 times in a row before you believe me."

those "magic re-sets" of the checkbox, that I've "opted in", and the
company is surprised when they get angry email from me, telling them
to stop spamming me.

  Clueless users are a small part of the problem.  There's always a
few, they cause only small amounts of problems, and there' little you
can do to get rid of all of them.

  Clueless site creators have the ability to annoy *all* of the people
accessing their site.  That's a bigger problem than a few people
forgetting that they opted in.

  Alan DeKok.