Re: [Asrg] Position paper, in zipped HTML

2003-03-15 23:48:59

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 09:18  PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I think I should be able to opt out once and get off every list.

I like this idea, but I wonder if it's practical. If you opt out via a central list, what lists have to accept it and what lists don't? If you use the central opt out, would this list have to remove you?

Assuming the answer to that is "no", then how do we draw the lines between "these lists have to follow this request" and "these lists don't" such that everyone knows what to expect? How could you implement that on something like yahoogroups? If you have two email addresses and opt out one, am I supposed to know about the other somehow? Because the "typical" user tends to forget what address they subscribed to which when, and sees unsubscribe services as "do what I want" magic repositories.

And how do people get validate to get access to it securely? Because if it's open, you just created a massive, pre-authorized and valid list of addresses to suck off and spam. So you have to make it available to almost anyone (because almost anyone can be a home business with an e-marketing newsletter), but protect it from spammers who'll happily agree to whatever you say, suck as many addresses as they can, and skip off into the night...

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/