Re: [Asrg] Position paper, in zipped HTML

2003-03-16 21:20:08

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 07:45  PM, Chris Lewis wrote:
Rodney's had the obviously necessary feature of "domain-wide" opt-out - why _shouldn't_ a corporate domain be able to opt out?

All my systems have one. There's no reason not to, and many good reasons to allow it, IMHO. especially with the proliferation of personal domains where all addresses are valid and forwarded to a single real email address, usually with no clean way of finding out what address it went to.

Rodney's list immediately showed why no-one will ever accept a global opt-out list: within a week, domains comprising on the order of 60 million email address had opted out.

(shrug). that's the wrong attitude, but I've seen it. Better attitude: why worry about people who don't want your mail anyway? All you do is piss them off and make them less likely, not more likely.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/