Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-03-30 00:27:22

On Saturday, March 29, 2003, at 08:54  PM, Eric D. Williams wrote:

and no one is trying to scratch their head and write down the issues and derive
the solution (or solution sets);

there have been some small attempts. They haven't gotten traction.

Part of the problem is that this group can't agree one what problem it's trying to solve. Or even that there are multiple problems that need to be solved, and to choose one. Every time it tries, it gets sidetracked back into arguments over what needs to be solved.

Aspects of the problem are REALLY TOUGH TO SOLVE. So the discussion keeps shifting off to solvable problems (mass marketers vs. spammers, consent models vs. stopping spam), even though they are (except to a tiny activitist group) a small part of the problem. People are, effectively, afraid to try to fix the spam problem because it's hard work, hasn't succeeded to date, unclear how to do it, and might not succeed. It's natural to migrate to something more tractable and easier to deal with -- the problem is, if you're seeing this iceberg bearing down on you, pulling our the brass polish because you know how to spiffy things up isn't the answer.

There are personality conflicts. boy howdy, are there personality conflicts. and people are letting those conflicts and their private agendas interfere with the overall workings of this group.

and there are people who are convinced that their vision of the problem, or their vision of the solution, are the real things that need to be addressed, and they are pushing those agendas to the exclusion of what anyone else thinks and without much interest or willingness in other viewpoints, much less collaboration or compromise. (this is the "let's all agree to do it my way" problem).

And between all of these issues, the attempts to actually get much accomplished gets lost in the noise. I've just about given up, I think the dogmatic viewpoints and personality conflicts have likely doomed this group unless people will check their egos at the door and act professionally. My worry is, these people think they are.

But this place makes a great case study of how tough the problem is and why the net's done such a poor job of dealing with the problem. We're how many years into it? and we're still arguing what the problem is. and there's no end in sight.

this place also makes a great case study why ultimately these issues will be (and are, as we speak) moving out of the tech community increasingly into the political world, and why decisions will move from the geeks and administrators to the politicians and lawyers and management. And since marketing organizations know how to talk to politicians and geeks generally disdain them, guess who's voices will be heard? You may not like the DMA, but they know how to deal with Congress. And as long as people in this forum see the e-marketers as a foe to be fought instead of an ally to work with to solve the bigger problem (spam), those forces will stay divided and the one with political savvy will end up setting the legislation and political agendas. 'cause you may not want to believe it, but the e-marketing worlds sees the spammers as enemies, not the people in this group. Except for the ones who've declared war on emarketers, of course.

but next time someone says "keep the politicians out of it and let the geeks solve the problem!" think about how well the geeks have solved it in this forum...