Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-03-30 00:06:36
I think it's trivial to define consent.

I tell you to go away, you go away. You don't come back in three months to see if I'm still mad at you, you don't change your corporation name and contact me as a new entity, you go away. Consent is easy, at the base of it.

What's missing is a standard way to communicate consent, as well as a standard way to define consent expectations (i.e., no generally accepted way to put up a "no solicitors" sign on your front door.). The lack of that no solicitors sign doesn't give you the right to walk into the living room to talk to me, but it does mean you can knock. If the sign is there and you still knock, silly you.

On the other hand, spammers are about consent the way burglars are about knocking. Since there's no consent model spammers will ever follow, it won't solve the spam problem, and solving any other problem doesn't matter until the spam problem is solved.

(it won't be solved by lumping everyone in as spammers, either, but that seems to be, increasingly, the attitude I see on this list. Oh, well)