Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-03-29 22:00:58
At 10:32 PM -0500 3/29/03, John R Levine wrote:
 > >I find it hard to think of any circumstance where it's useful to consider
 >a one-to-one message to be spam.  It may be annoying for some other
 >reason, but without bulk, there's no spam problem.

 I'm the naked man in a glass room - I have no way of knowing how many
 recipients the message has. I can never know I've been spammed?

Of course you can.  It doesn't take much intelligence to tell an actual
individual message from a human from faux personalized junk mail.

Exhibit 1.

A message asking to be added to my mailing list. Spam was simply the URL in the .signature. I would have fallen for it but they went a touch too far and included a picture as well.

Exhibit 2.

A message to abuse complaining about spam. The spam was the message that they were "complaining" about.

Exhibit 3.

Message asking me to attend a conference.  (You've probably seen these.)
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.