Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-03-30 07:12:10
From: "John R Levine" <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com>

I can certainly imagine situations where spam could masquerade as
individual messages well enough to fool some people, but I don't see that
as a big problem.  So long as most of the recipients can figure out that
it's spam, any negative feedback scheme we invent will still work.

Yes.
The fact each of us has probably been fooled once, twice, three or
even more times does not change the fact that anyone and everyone who
should be allowed an unsupervised mail account can and does bulk mail
from single, isolated samples with better than 99.9% accuracy.

The famous legal saying that hard cases make bad law applies to laws
against spam as well as technical defenses.  It is a major mistake to
try to make laws or computers against spam absolutely perfect.   Any
law or computer defense that even approaches being a perfect spam
filter has catatrophic unintended consequences.