Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-03-29 15:34:52
At 14:20 -0800 3/29/03, Dave Crocker wrote:
Jon,

 Not that it's a solution, but it seems such a person could give blanket
 consent
 for potential collaborators or customers to contact him for professional
 reasons related to ice cream, and if JK happens to be an eccentric ice
 cream
 inventor who talks to nobody, then he would presumably not give such
 consent
 because he truly does not care to be contacted/hired.

JK> Absolutely - yes. Many possible mechanisms for advertising consent
JK> before the fact.

This is a technical forum. Please list any of the technical mechanisms
that are reasonable candidates for use, in an environment with 100
million users and tens or hundreds of thousands of independent
administrative localities.

These sorts of minute-by-minute challenges are unlikely to lead to anything
useful. Why can't you just say that if someone wants to promote the idea
of a consent mechanism, that they should announce a research thread and
pursue it.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I can answer an old question with
a few minutes of head-scratching just because someone has thrown down the gauntlet.

I'm not particularly interested in the topic, however I do seem to subscribe to a more wide interpretation of "consent" than you do... As I mentioned earlier, consent is already implied in the acceptance or rejection of mail at every step of the process already. Perhaps the small "consent" steps that exist now can be better formalized to at least provide more consistent results than are achieved now in a manner that does not require every last mailer on the net to be on board to work. I don't know, really... research and experimentation might tell us something about that. arguing about it probably won't.