Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-03-29 10:17:31
Jim,

I hear that you are the world's expert on ice cream.  I want to hire you
to help my ice cream manufacturing business.  We have never met.  I send
you an email.

The above definition classifies my email as spam.

JY> Not that it's a solution, but it seems such a person could give blanket
consent
JY> for potential collaborators or customers to contact him for professional
JY> reasons related to ice cream, and if JK happens to be an eccentric ice cream
JY> inventor who talks to nobody, then he would presumably not give such consent
JY> because he truly does not care to be contacted/hired.

1.  Multi-level marketing schemes solicit your participation in an
activity that can easily be classed at "potential collaboration".  Yet
most people would class those solicitations as spam.

2.  Given that this is a technical research body, how does one go about
offering that consent, in a service with 100 million participants, and
how does one enforce it?

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>