Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-03-29 00:58:42
From: Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>

This groups needs to settle on a single, precise, operational definition
of "spam".  A definition that permits objective, reliable tests for
qualification.

We might or might not be able to get software to make that assessment,
but it at least needs to satisfy what the courts call objective.

Unless and until we start treating this topic as a technical activity,
we are certain to make no progress, and to consume quite a bit of
bandwidth while doing it.

That's all true, except that we can't use the word "spam."
It is waste of time to try to define it because many unsolicited bulk
mail advertisers will always define it as "that which we don't send"
while others insist it is "that which we don't want to receive (any more)".
It's best to pick a new word or phrase and use that.

There are even people who define "UBE" as "that which we don't send
even if what we sent was unsolicited and involved substantially
identical copies except for salutations."