Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-03-29 14:01:08
On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:43:55 +0000
Jon Kyme <jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com> wrote:

I'm sure working up a mechanism for expressing consent (here I go
again) will be difficult - but I think it's a job for the group. It's
fairly easy to envisage consent expression propagating up to the ISP
or MTA (from individual users) enabling consent to be consulted at a
single point for a domain (or set of domains).

Is there a driving need for the consent acquisition process to be both
synchronous and fast?  What if it were asynchronous with few guarantees
on reply latency?

As for enforcing it, it's not clear that's a purely technical problem.

Quite.  I tend to see the primary problem as one of making the Bad Guys
more like misguided Good Guys who can be accurately targeted and whacked
via appropriate real world means.  Solving what in essence are social
behavioral problems via protocol design is a much bigger ticket that I'm
not sure is possible.

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?