RE: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

2003-03-31 14:32:07
Bah, MySQL isn't a database yet (even 4.x), all around MySQL isn't good
enough for a production mail system. But that flame war and discussion is
for another mailing list...

Their email storage is their choice. It could be flat files for all I care
as long as any client can read it. I just like SQL because it's relatively
compatible between vendors... Therefore swapping out Outlook would be a
"piece of cake."

FYI: Interestingly though Postgres has this note on text types:
"The storage requirement for data of these [text] types is 4 bytes plus the
actual string, and in case of character plus the padding. Long strings are
compressed by the system automatically, so the physical requirement on disk
may be less. Long values are also stored in background tables so they don't
interfere with rapid access to the shorter column values. In any case, the
longest possible character string that can be stored is about 1 GB."

And now back to our regularly scheduled on-topic topic....

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuq Von Rospach [mailto:chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 4:21 PM
To: Jason Hihn
Cc: Sauer, Damon; David F. Skoll; Jim Youll; asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

so, in practice, you want to hand over mail servers from Microsoft to
Oracle. Because large organizations use Oracle as their database
predominantly.

And since e-mail is text, these are large databases. Start thinking of
systems with 10,000 active users and 35,000 accounts, a mail quota of
100 megabytes, 7,000 open connections at any time, and you'll start
giving MySQL serious hiccups. and given MySQL has some blob/text
limitations at 16 megs, you have a different problem with really large
emails (no, I don't think sending stuff that large is a good idea....)

that's a lot of disk....