Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-04 09:48:11
At 11:20 AM 4/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:

Process question. How do you become a relay honeypot without being blacklisted?

Spammers scan for open relays. When they find you you become (more often than not) an active honeypot. I got checked about 15 minutes ago - a recipient (dropbox) I don't recognize. The weekend is coming up - I'll see if I get spam (I decided to deliver this one.)

At least one operator has reported enhanced results by being blacklisted - he nominated himself. Open relay DNSBL's list the open relays. If the IP you are using will never be a spam source then having it blacklisted causes no harm to any valid email. It does cause harm to the spammer who gets his lists of open relays by consulting a blacklist.

Originally I ran a combined server/honeypot (I separated relay spam from valid email.) I got blacklisted. It was (still is) an .edu IP. In reality the number of times a user complained about blocked delivery was so small it wasn't a problem (plus I smart-hosted the server/honeypot to an IP that wasn't blacklisted for a long time.)

I think blacklists should be salted with honeypots - it's about as easy a way to give spammers grief that I can imagine. Salt them enough and the spammers will stop using them as lists of open relays. Maybe I'm weird but I always find it funny when a spammer sends relay spam to a honeypot - in addition to its function a salted-address honeypot could be a source of amusement. It's REALLY funny (to me) to deliver a relay test in the middle of the spam run - Spammy has tumbled somewhat to the fact that his responses are zip from the spam sent to that particular relay and he's checking it. He sees: no problem, it relays fine. How can you not laugh?