Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-03 18:21:51
At 3:48 PM -0600 4/3/03, Brad Spencer wrote:
There's a reason for everyone to use honeypots right there: you can forget worrying about the definition of spam. If you trap it then it's spam. Boom.

A honeypot is generally easy to filter However there is some noise from people creating example addresses, using fake addresses to sign up for things, mistyping an address and such. As a result I have no good way to determine what percentage of the email we bounce is spam. Even though they all go to addresses that never existed. But somewhere.com is an extreme case.

But those aren't the issue. The issue is the email you get at real addresses. That includes mail you asked for, mail from affiliates of people you gave your address, mail from people they sold your address to.... The definition of those varies.

Frankly, I think we could solve almost all of the ambiguous cases with one law.

"Thou shalt not sell email addresses."

Then if you get bulk email from a company that you didn't give your address to, you *know* it's spam.

Unfortunately, I can't come up with a good argument why a company should be allowed to sell my phone number but not my email address.

Then again, I'm not clear on why the government isn't allowed to use cookies, but can track my airline travel.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.