Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-04 00:35:15
At 7:49 PM -0700 4/3/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
 > From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

 I assume not.  Which is my point.  It doesn't seem to me that
 anti-forgery laws would have any significant impact on spam.  Whether
 or not I agree with your assertion that most spammers don't forge
 now--it's clear that forging addresses is not necessary.

I claim that the anti-spam-forgery laws have already caused far less
spam to have forged sender addresses than a few years ago and instead
carry throw-away, drop-box addresses.

We've already discussed this, and we already know what simple evidence will prove or disprove it. It's going to take someone at Hotmail or Yahoo telling us which is more common--bounces to an address that never existed. Or bounces to an address that they cancel for spamming. Simple data. Simple proof. Until then, all I know is that 1/3rd of all my bounces have MAIL FROM's which are unresolveable. But until we have real data, can we please stop arguing this in either direction? I didn't even disagree with you here, and yet you insist on bring the argument up again.

As for cause and effect--forget it. I happen to believe that black lists are no more effective against open relays than simply complaining to open relay owners. But I'm not about to argue that, because I have no evidence. There is no way to test cause and effect, and we don't have any control cases to do a proper study.

I believe the main legal attack on the current spam problem
  - will be a tax on commercial bulk mail of $0.01-$0.10/target.

Paid to whom? Doled out to ISPs and individual companies ala RIAA? (Yes, I just saw someone on a private list propose this. And as much as the thought disgusts me--the RIAA model might actually work.)

  - criminal penalties for failing to pay the tax will end the majority
      of current spam, while avoiding First Amendment challeges or
      hurting the major advertisers.

End the majority of non-criminal, us-based spam, presumably. A quick scan of the current contents of my junk folder indicates that such laws would possibly reduce my spam by about 60%. Presumably it's not going to do a thing for all the stuff in Chinese, or the 4-5 Nigerian spams I get a day, or the credit card spams, or the off-shore prescription drugs.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.