RE: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-01 09:24:39
On Monday, March 31, 2003 10:35 PM, Brad Templeton
[SMTP:brad(_at_)templetons(_dot_)com]
wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:15:16PM -0500, Eric D. Williams wrote:
What came to me is this.  For at least what appears to be a metric in your
term
(over 100's messages) for injection into the MTS, where is this measured?
 Is
the system for measurement sensitive to temporal thresholds, e.g. I send
one

message 'spam' per hour for 100 days?

This is a question of defining spam, as in "What is spam, that thou art not
allowed to do it, or that laws or contracts may punish you for it?"

That's quite different from the question of detecting spam, which is based
on technical metrics.

Sorry, I thought the definition presented was an attempt to show the
intersection of definitions of 'spam' and not the intersection of metrics used
to detect 'spam'.  Though I realize that if you can find intersection for
detection and definition you have definitely 'got spam', I think we must not
set the bar too high for detection to miss the definition as related to other
descriptors, e.g. consent agreement enforcement, origination forgery, etc.
which I think are also being considered with in the context of 'spam'.

As you have stated previously:

On Friday, March 28, 2003 4:25 PM, Brad Templeton