Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-03 14:41:01
From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

tricks including "hash busters."  The DMA will soon finish passing
laws in all major jurisdictions that criminalize header forgery as
the first step in saving "push advertising".  (The other jurisdictions
can be blacklisted by IP address.)

How do those laws define header forgery?  As discussed here,
legitimate header forgery is extremely common.  Individuals forge
headers to point at their other email accounts.  Companies forge
headers to point to addresses that deliberately bounce (particularly
email from their abuse auto-responders).

Is it okay to forge a From to an email account that I own?

Congresscritters are like other people in show business and understand
the necessity of stage or other assumed names.  I trust they won't
make it a crime to to pick and choose among mailboxes that you own,
in the same way you can sign checks as any of Kee Hinckley, K. Hinckley,
Hinckley, Nazgul, or even Abraham Lincoln, provided that you own the
account and you're not committing some sort of naughtiness.

Spammer fighters to the contrary, the word forgery does not mean
anything like using an unexpected name or using an alias.  It means
what http://www.expertdocumentexaminer.com/forgeryinfo.html

Is it okay to forge a From to an email account that I own, even if I
know that it's going to be shut down for spamming as soon as those
two million messages I just sent out start bouncing?

Is it forgery to use a return address of a hotel room that you know
you are going to vacate the day after tomorrow?