Re: [Asrg] define spam

2003-04-03 14:16:55
At 8:09 AM -0700 3/30/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
tricks including "hash busters."  The DMA will soon finish passing
laws in all major jurisdictions that criminalize header forgery as
the first step in saving "push advertising".  (The other jurisdictions
can be blacklisted by IP address.)

How do those laws define header forgery? As discussed here, legitimate header forgery is extremely common. Individuals forge headers to point at their other email accounts. Companies forge headers to point to addresses that deliberately bounce (particularly email from their abuse auto-responders).

Is it okay to forge a From to an email account that I own?

Is it okay to forge a From to an email account that I own, even if I know that it's going to be shut down for spamming as soon as those two million messages I just sent out start bouncing?
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.