Re: [Asrg] Consent

2003-04-04 12:35:17
At 9:26 AM -0800 4/4/03, matthew richards wrote:
if spammers were only spamming once very six months i doubt the ASRG would exist, i doubt the term SPAM would exist.

The point was that we need to be careful not to solve one problem and create another. In particular, we don't want to legitimize sending unsolicited bulk email, even if it isn't done frequently. Right now we're being nailed by a large number of messages from a few people. The opposite situation is actually far harder to control. And legitimizing unsolicited bulk mail (with or without opt-out) could easily create it.

Or to put it in a slightly more flip way. It's possible that the fact that spammers make legitimate bulk email senders look bad is a good thing. The only thing holding them back is that they'd get grouped with the slime.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.