RE: [Asrg] Whitelisting on Message-ID (Was Turing Test ...) honyp ot plug

2003-04-07 05:50:11
<snip>
The problem iwth that is that, well, spammers aren't dumb. I was
suprised at how quickly the spammer found my open relay. <snip>

 Did you happen to change or add a DNS record?
 Here is a very interesting experiment for you... Add an IP to DNS and have
it mail enabled. I saw this happen first hand as I was bringing a whole load
of new equipment online. The *moment* I added the a new record to DNS,
spammers and spam researchers were hammering my boxes.
 I believe they watch every addition to DNS. It was amazing to watch these
spammers come online and try to hammer systems that were not even in
production yet. They actually did me a favor, I didn't have to run any
mail-storms at these new servers... They were already getting plenty. *sigh*

Regards,
Damon Sauer

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."