Re: [Asrg] Whitelisting on Message-ID (Was Turing Test ...) honeypot plug

2003-04-07 09:33:28

On Monday, April 7, 2003, at 09:15  AM, Brad Spencer wrote:

rules require cooperation or policemen. What's your policeman here?

Right now the policeman is the spammer's ISP - give the ISP evidence of abuse by the spammer and the ISP just about has to act. The honeypot operators tell the ISPs of the abuse - the ISPs act.

If that were true, would the blackhole sites that exist today exist? why couldn't the blackhole sites simply report this to the ISP and expect the ISP to act? If this were true, any time we found an open relay, we could report it to an ISP and it'd be blocked at the ISPs firewall, right?

except it doesn't happen. So how does adding honeypots to the system make the ISP react to the data?

Spam isn't illegal, except in very limited ways in limited jurisdictions. And in reality, spam (like porn) is seen as a lucrative business by some companies. They've already decided to turn a deaf ear to complaints. How does this change that?

As to the security world, they seem to emphasize making a system immune to being rooted (as opposed to making those that try to root systems feel pain.)

could that be because trying to "cause pain" (as in reporting them to ISPs and having the ISP react in some way) doesn't work?