Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (yet another C-R system?)

2003-04-10 15:10:12
From: J C Lawrence <claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu>
To: "John Fenley" <pontifier(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:43:13 -0600
John Fenley <pontifier(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

> In my mind customization features are a symptom of loose thinking: "I
> don't know exactly how this should work, but given all these features
> they should be able to get it to work."

In which case I'm sure you can come up with the following:

  a) A definition of "spam" that will satisfy all the members of this
  list both as to accuracy and content.

Perhaps: A mass mailing sent out to over X addresses, that irespective of content WAS NOT ASKED FOR. raise x high enough and i think we will have a consensus that this was indeed a spam mailing.

  b) A policy for handling spam for an individual's mailbox that will
  satisfy all the members of this list, for their personal addresses,
  role addresses, and corporate/work addresses.

I think I'll stick to just personal addresses. people who know what they are doing arent buying products from spam.

by the way, what is a roll address?

  c) Ditto the population of a random mall in AnyTownEarth.

I challenge you to find a mall ANYWHERE, in which EVERYONE would agree on ANYTHING (if you could find a good way to do that you would probly win a Nobel prize). The world keeps going anyway.

Different people want different things.  Some of us want very different
things.  Bell curves don't only exist in the middle, and quite
significant (in stature, influence, and numbers) populations often exist
more than a standard deviation out.

Want an example?

  I do not and will not allow any icon to appear on any desktop I run or
  use.  Not one.  I consider the icon aspect of WIMP (windows icon mouse
  pointer) to be an utterly broken user interface metaphor and so simply
  don't use them.

I'm a member of a pretty small population there.  <shrug> Happily that
fact is neither a problem or the source of any problems.

Customisation is your friend.  Humans are tool builders, not work
materials.

"You are special" -Mr. Rogers

Also we are not a field to be harvested by spammers.

John Fenley