Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (yet another C-R system?)

2003-04-10 18:11:51
At 4:08 PM -0600 4/10/03, John Fenley wrote:
  a) A definition of "spam" that will satisfy all the members of this
  list both as to accuracy and content.

Perhaps: A mass mailing sent out to over X addresses, that irespective of content WAS NOT ASKED FOR. raise x high enough and i think we will have a consensus that this was indeed a spam mailing.

There's an awful lot of email that is spam that doesn't meet that definition. Please read the archives (we need to make them more easily searchable). Also look for discussions of "consent". "WAS NOT ASKED FOR" turns out to be a very slippery concept.

86% of the email my father gets he labels as spam. Most of it is from companies where he forgot to uncheck the button that said they (or their affiliates) would contact him. Do we say tough luck? And your system wouldn't keep that for happening--although it would give him a way of stopping it. Of course then you get the following problem.

I sign up for mailing A with a given ID. I start getting mailing B. I want to block it, but it has the same ID. Sound unlikely? Ask anyone who's had dealings with a company that hosts mailing lists. Some lists are clean, some are not. Just as blocking ISPs isn't always as clearcut as it seems.

  b) A policy for handling spam for an individual's mailbox that will
  satisfy all the members of this list, for their personal addresses,
  role addresses, and corporate/work addresses.

I think I'll stick to just personal addresses. people who know what they are doing arent buying products from spam.

Do you think the reason we are trying to block spam is to protect people from buying garbage? It isn't. In fact I don't think anyone has brought that up as an issue so far. (Think of it as evolution in action.)

by the way, what is a roll address?

Role address. support, info, sales, postmaster, hostmaster, listmaster, webmaster (why aren't there more roles for slaves? :-). The address isn't a person, it maps to one or more people who may change over time.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.