Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (yet another C-R system?)

2003-04-10 19:31:34
On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 20:09:51 -0400
Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com> wrote:
At 2:28 PM -0700 4/10/03, J C Lawrence wrote:

Address shunting/rewriting is a good point, but one I don't see as
handleable without direct MUA support.

Agreed.  However a standard for what the message would look like that
notifies someone of an address change would be a useful item in
general.

Yeah, I just spent most of a 100 mile drive (San Jose -> Richmond -> San
Jose) thinking about that one.  Summary: There are lots of ways,
including several that are friendly to non-supporting MUAs and even
foreign language speakers (via abuse of MIME).

What would be more interesting (to me), and I think more useful in
general is a generically portable and useful way of encoding command
sets in email ala XML/RPC which are both human readable and
machine-friendly.  If such already exists we should plug into it.  I
haven't yet done a literature survey to see if such already exists --
hopefully someone here knows and can save me some time.

What I'm not sure of is whether it's possible to do it securely.  And
if you don't, the ramifications are kind of nasty.

Yeah, that's a worrisome end.  There's some token rights negotiation
there that's just not pretty.

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?