Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (yet another C-R system?)

2003-04-10 14:01:51
At 12:52 PM -0700 4/10/03, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
pull out a pen and make a minor change to the card, and the user now has an address that's pre-whitelisted.

If you can do that in your head, then the spammer can certainly figure it out. No? Also, keep in mind the sender's system. When you give people an address, they have this nasty habit of actually remembering it. They put it in their address book, they put in their paper note taking system. They put it in their database. If I need to shunt them to a permanent address, I need an easy way to do it. Kind of like HTTP's permanent redirect. (And keep in mind that for reasons that escape me, nobody has bothered using that to update anyone's bookmark's file.)

register for Apple eNews with only whitelists the apple.com domain, the first time you get email using that registration token, it changes the whitelist to that address, not the entire domain.

Would that actually work? I know a lot of my Apple email seems to come from different addresses, but I couldn't swear as to which subscription caused which one.

set up your amazon.com account that accepts email from all of amazon.com, but only if the email relays in from a defined netblock.

Great until they contract something out to mx0.net or some such.

the nice thing is a system like this can be built simple enough for MY MOM,

As you just described it I'd be real reluctant to try and pitch that one to my mother. And having just spent half an hour explaining to my father that the little dialog box that Pagemaker brings up when he prints, that says, "Some images may not print correctly because they could not be found, please see the Links dialog" was related to his problem (some images weren't printing correctly), I think we'll pass on explaining temporary addresses.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.