Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (yet another C-R system?)

2003-04-10 12:56:20

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 12:37  PM, John Fenley wrote:

but it gives us new tools to fight that, too, because then we can start tracking and blocking the scraping as well.

Am I the only one here that believes that for an e-mail address to be usefull you must be able to write it down on a piece of paper and give it to someone? how do you dynamicaly create a consent token on a piece of paper?

Maybe you don't. But then, there's no assumption here you need one. Perhaps that e-mail you write down is set to go into a "these emails need to be evaluated" folder. Perhaps it's set to do a challenge/response like current whitelists do? You actually have a lot of flexibility -- a system like this doesn't generate a "thing", but gives you the ability to tailor a suite of things to your needs:

the "contact me" address generates a 24 hour token; after taht time, it's rejected.

the address on your business card goes to a "unvalidated but trusted" folder to be looked at -- and the user can accept, reject, send for a C/R, discard, whitelist, whatever.

pull out a pen and make a minor change to the card, and the user now has an address that's pre-whitelisted.

register for Apple eNews with only whitelists the apple.com domain, the first time you get email using that registration token, it changes the whitelist to that address, not the entire domain.

set up your amazon.com account that accepts email from all of amazon.com, but only if the email relays in from a defined netblock.

the nice thing is a system like this can be built simple enough for MY MOM, but can have features that people can use once they figure out they want to use them, but which they aren't required to figure out ahead of time..