RE: [Asrg] [ASRG]Other Ideas?

2003-04-11 04:58:23

-----Original Message-----
From: Kee Hinckley [mailto:nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com]

I believe that it is possible to describe the *problems* that we are
trying to solve without discussing spam or consent.  There are
slightly different sets of problems for ISPs vs. end-users.  And for
personal accounts vs. business.  And a number of these problems (e.g.
massive numbers of bounces) are not solely caused by spam.  Given a
description of the problems, then it should be possible to look at
proposed solutions and determine which part of the space they solve
and which they don't.  That would (in theory) bypass the whole issue
of definitions and consent.  Particular *solutions* certainly may
require defining consent.  But I don't believe that describing the
problem space requires it.

Kee, Please see the 'inventory of problems' document that was distributed.
(I just resent it to the list.) Please work with

All: As far as defining spam, we have defined spam as unwanted messages.
Please see the early discussions for more clarification. Each entity may
define what messages are unwanted. An alternate and more limiting definition
of spam that has been used can be found at
http://www.monkeys.com/spam-defined/definition.shtml: "Internet spam is one
or more unsolicited 1 messages, sent or posted as part of a larger
collection 2 of messages, all having substantially identical content."  This
covers a majority of what many people consider spam. However, this also
leaves room for some false positives and false negatives. People have
debated the perfect definition of spam for years; that is not why we are
here. Above are two good, but different definitions. As a group we will aim
to develop solutions that allow entities to control 'unwanted messages'.
Individual solutions that are proposed here may target subsets of unwanted
messages. Therefore, an individual solution may target the more precise
definition of spam stated above.