Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (Query/C-R system?)

2003-04-11 16:52:14
I would rather give my phone number to the government than, say,
Microsoft.

I think that there are interesting alternatives to the Microsoft monolith
approaches already in the works for domains other than unsolicited marketing
control, but that may be applicable nonetheless.

For example, the work that the Liberty Alliance has been doing to forward
the cause and solutions for federated online identity provide good models
for distributed, non-government repositories.  UDDI registries of web
services follow the same model.  And we wouldn't even have eCommerce if it
weren't for the trust that we already put in certificate authorities like
VeriSign and Thawte.

IMHO, non-government repository operators that have been vetted for
credibility are perfectly acceptable and in actual fact will probably be
able to execute better and faster than a government operation.

Although the government's national no-call list is a good start, it's really
a pretty unsophisticated technological solution when you compare it to the
exigencies of a solution to ultimately control all forms of unwanted
marketing and to manage consent and hopefully, one day, adsertor marketing.