Re: [asrg] 6. proposal of solution: Using Relay Honeypots to Reduce Spam

2003-04-16 08:48:11
At 08:29 AM 4/16/2003 -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:

It does not matter whether spammers are doing the obvious and including
undetectable drop-boxes in their spews.  (It is obviously impossible
for a honeypot operator to distinguish or detect one address that gets
a copy of every spam sent by a relay spammer and is monitored by the
spammer from every other address that gets a copy of every spam sent.)

The honeypot operator isn't the only person who can act usefully. The operator of the system to which the test spam is sent can, by implementing anti-spam filters, greatly destroy the power of this spammer ploy. If the spammer response is to send the spam to his own domain (as some do for their test messages) it's trivial to make sure that domain gets all the spam the spammer sends to himself (once you know the spammers' domains.)

What matters is that honeypots that don't deliver spam to victims
don't get used by spammers, while honeypots that do deliver spam are
no better than Spamfords paid "Bandwidth Partners" and must be treated
like the spammers they are.

My original honeypot did sometimes leak spam. Mea Culpa. I now run it with all delivery disabled and sometimes deliver a relay test manually. It now does not and cannot leak spam. I run Jackpot at home with relay disabled. It does not and cannot leak spam, not even one. It does trap relay tests every once in a while. The "work" honeypot was up to 333 tests this year last time I checked. Many of those are repeat tests. With only one trap I can't say anything about the testing pattern that the tests represent (and I think the testing patterns are tremendously important to know.). I do know some spammers differently from how most do. I know a jela(_at_)borovo(_dot_)net spammer - he's the one that sent three intermingled types of relay spam, through open proxies, and sometimes screwed up (put the "Meet Russian Women" subjects with a different spam.) That's another way I know spammers differently from most: I see more of a complete spam run than is usual. If there were larger numbers of honeypots and if the operators were doing what I started to do with the "work" honeypot - let test messages be delivered only to one drop box - then there'd be a good body of formation possible that would link a test dropbox address with a particular flavor of spam. If the dropboxes were not done under fictitious names (and some have very long histories, so the spammers may not realize the vulnerability) then a subpoena could be issued to link the spam back through the dropbox that received a test message and triggered that spam to the name of the spammer. The AOL suit could have a lot of the "John Doe's" filled in with real names.

However, since the topic has come up, there are honeypot schemes in which some spam is delivered. I will point out the inconsistency of opposition to those, using securing of open relays as the starting point. When an open relay is secured then that particular IP is no longer a source of spam. As generally done the securing results in the IP responding "550 we do not relay" to any relay attempts. That is all the information the spammer needs and it is given to him for free. That preserves the strict dichotomy on the internet: systems that don't relay spammer test messages and aren't open relays and systems that do deliver spammer test messages and are open relays. The act of securing the system makes no noticeable effect on the volume of delivered spam. As long as the spammer can find enough true open relays he continues to send as much relay spam as he needs or desires.

If I created a honeypot that used some random number function to determine which spam recipients were to get spam, and programmed it to deliver 50% of the spam, then it would also stop 50% of the spam. That is far worse form a single-system viewpoint but is infinitely more effective than the secured system in actually stopping spam TODAY. Only when almost all systems are secured does simply securing result in a lowered spam volume - that day hasn't yet arrived. You can rail all you want about a system that delivers half the spam it is given to deliver but it is doing more to stop spam than a secured open relay.

That's not the only scenario. If there were a million honeypots they could deliver 100% today, 98% tomorrow, and so on, ramping down to 0% delivery in 50 days. This isn't likely to ever be done but, depending on how thoroughly the spammers had switched over to these fake open relays, the spam volume would be greatly reduced after 50 days (if the spammers didn't scramble away from the honeypots.) I don't advocate this but I do advocate thinking about it - the simple gut-reaction approach, appropriate for the first day it is discovered that your system is being used to relay spam, is no longer adequate (and thus never was.)

There was no benefit I can see to my honeypot leaking spam and I never wanted it to leak. But it did function to end huge amounts of spam while people with simply-secured systems did nothing comparable. It did get listed as an open relay but that was OK: I invited ORBS to test my zone whenever they wished. Later on it was much tighter. It also functioned by delivering all single-recipient messages (for convenience in implementation, not for any necessity.) After it was shut down single-recipient relay spam got far more prevalent. It would have been trivial to change it so that it checked all messages. Even for single-recipient spam it checked for relay tests, so I could save copies. MAPS listed it because I described it in NANAE. Again, no problem.

If you remember nothing else from this message remember the folly of giving the spammer for free the piece of information he most needs about a secured system to enable him to keep sending relay spam: the fact that it is secured.

I've not really thought through all the implications of open proxy honeypots - there may be some great ideas there that haven't yet been touched. That's where the action is now - open proxies.