Re: [asrg] 6. proposal of solution: Using Relay Honeypots to Reduce Spam

2003-04-16 09:42:33
At 05:26 PM 4/16/2003 +0100, Jon Kyme wrote:

And you still haven't answered my questions (posed twice):

Look again.

> 1. How much spam reduction should we expect from the deployment of one
> more
> honeypot?

I said it was so variable I didn't know.

> 2. How many honeypots do we need to deploy to reduce spam by 99%?

I said 200 million.

I assume it's because you don't like the answers.

200 million is a lot to accomplish. I said let's do a thousand and re-evaluate.

DO RECALL that honeypots are what I've done for years but that what I advocate here is to make a concerted and broad-based attack on spammer abuse. That attack can include deployment of honeypots but is not limited to honeypots. Honeypots attack spam at a wholesale level - ISPs can attack the abuse targeted by honeypots at a wholesale level. If they would.

It could happen that someone would say "Yes, if we shot down the abuse-path spam the spammers would have to either give up or go to direct spam" but I don't hold my breath.

I'm putting forth positive ideas to help end spam. I could stop any time: I've said enough of what there is to say. I didn't go to the press and say I was going to make a big move against spam: ASRG did. I'm providing useful ideas and information. If ASRG has a slicker way of ending spam I'll applaud, along with everyone else. I know that there are actions that could be taken today to help end abuse-based spam. I see a lot of discussion of actions way, way out in the future. ASRG will do something: I've supplied useful ideas and some information. It will be interesting to see what ASRG does.