Re: [asrg] 6. proposal of solution: Using Relay Honeypots to Reduce Spam

2003-04-16 10:32:58
At 06:08 PM 4/16/2003 +0100, Jon Kyme wrote:

I don't see that there's what the charter calls "a realistic chance of
wide-scale deployment" for what you propose.

What evaluation of the chances have you done?

In the interests of supporting your experiment, I hereby promise to set up
one honeypot as soon as possible after being supplied with the details of
the other 999.

Noted.

This isn't for me, it's for ASRG. If the honeypots and the ideas of taking action against that part of spamming that is based on abuse aren't used something else will have to be used and work. I can see real merit in pushing harder on automated spam recognition - that allows rapid listing and rapid rejection of similar spam. Honeypots are great as collectors of raw material: everything they collect is spam so it need only be characterized. Use them, don't use them. The problem is to end spam. Quickly, I'd also say. Reject as many ideas as you like: the problem won't shrink to make up for your short-sightedness.