Re: [Asrg] A Vaccine- not a cure or treatment- for Spam

2003-04-23 10:22:10
At 9:18 AM -0400 4/23/03, Jim Youll wrote:
At 23:22 -0400 4/22/03, Kee Hinckley wrote:

The entire system hinges on identity. Without it, spammers continue to make up identities, and you can't tell whether the mail is from a spammer or not because you have no information about it.

Can this be altered slightly to say that the entire system hinges on identity that cannot be easily changed. That principle is the backbone of good solutions to many problems, in technology and elsewhere, actually.

I guess I'd want to make it clear that not only can't you change one, you can't easily have an infinite number.

That was of course the standard mode of operation when all email was host-based and users couldn't readily unbind their login-IDs (identities) from their e-mail addresses.

Well. You could, but you had to be good friends with the sysadmin. I don't really think that things were as secure as they felt--it was just a nicer neighborhood, so the security issues didn't matter as much.

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.