Re: [Asrg] Hello- and my 2 cents

2003-04-22 12:03:05
apc> There is no way that any solution will be created that doesn't place some
apc> kind of burden on BOTH senders and receivers.

I found myself reading and re-reading this sentence.  On the one hand,
it seems blindingly obvious.  On the other hand, I think we have been
failing to see and discuss its implications very carefully.

Folks in the security world often cite the direct correlation between
strength of security and inconvenience to users.  I have mixed
feelings about that assessment, but at least it attends to a key point
in making any system practical.

We need to do the same.  Proposals need to includes discussion of the
effort and impact on the various participants in the service, such as
originators, recipients and operators of intermediaries.

(I'm not responding to the details of analysis in the rest of your
note, because I'd like us to focus on the importance of this
meta-issue first. It happens that I disagree with some of your
details, but am struck by the likely "efficiency" in a
discussion/debate about a proposal, if we focus on the perspective you
raise.)

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>