Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-29 11:15:00
In <200304291348(_dot_)h3TDmapv009257(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com> writes:

Those tokens do not tell you the complaint level against the vendor
or the particular list.

Rejecting spam is a boolean choice.  You will either filter a message
and so never see it or you will see it.  Boolean choices are only
complicated by analog inputs.  I have never ending problems with people
not understanding how to set the "bulk" threshold in DCC clients.

Ok, if you define "rejecting spam" as a boolean choice, then it is a
boolean choice.  So, I'll use the term "classifying spam" instead.

You can classify spam into many different ranges.  On my system, I use
SpamAssassin, and I have several mail folders where I don't expect to
see any spam (and I rarely do).  In these mail folders, I don't even
spend the time to think about whether something is spam or not.

I Also have a "spammy" folder, for email that has a score high enough
that I strongly suspect that it is spam, but I will often have
legitimate email there also.  I have to look at the email in the
"spammy" folder fairly closely, but fortunately, not much email ends
up in it.  Right now, it is running around 80% spam.

Email that scores as very spammy and isn't already listed on SpamCop's
DNSBL gets reported to SpamCop so that it will show up on the SCBL in
the future.  Because I report spam, I keep it around in another folder
and I usually glance at it very quickly to see if there are any very
obvious false positives.  After the brief glance, I delete all of it.

Yes, either email is UBE or it isn't, but you need a continuous scale
because filters are not 100% accurate.

-wayne