Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-30 00:22:40
On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:50:15 +0200
Andrzej Filip <anfi(_at_)box43(_dot_)pl> wrote:
Vernon Schryver wrote:
From: Andrzej Filip <anfi(_at_)Box43(_dot_)pl>
Vernon Schryver wrote:

No standard can FORCE the recipient into reading any received
message. The standard MUST force email service providers to deliver
good quality and reliable service - rejection of "classified as spam"
messages MUST cause notification to the sender.

Not going to happen.

Simply: My wire, my machine, my resources.  I and every other ISP out
there will essentially do whatever we damn well like, and in particular
we'll do whatever fits our cost and value structures.  You can
successfully require us to follow the protocol definitions in our
relations with others, but once its on our turf, behind closed doors, in
the privacy of our own spindles and MIPs all bets are off.  The best
you're going to get is a best practices recommendation -- and that is
something that you'll find a lot of people willing to support, champion,
and work on.  Getting people to sign away what they can do with their
own boxes outside of external protocols: nope.

They must know ...

"must" and "should" are wonderful words that cover a multitude of sins,
and in particular are nicely socially conscious words that don't pay a
whole lot of attention to the ROI structures that are necessary before
anything becomes "always" and "assumable".

One email channel does not work but the sender KNOWS at once that it
does not work.  The instant knowledge about the problem makes the
difference in legitimate email case.

Throw one secondary MX in there and all bets are off as to bounce
latencies.  Instantly.  Throw one protocol gateway, such as, not to beat
a dead horse, one of the many UUCP gateways, and all best are extremely
off as to the timely reporting of bounces.

If you want to keep people admire job delivered by anti spam filter
then you MUST accept that some problems will occur. You must help to
report/fix such problems quickly. You must help to limit business
consequences of such problems.  From "innocent victim" [by YOUR
standards] point of view only his/her case does matter, it does not
matter that the anti spam dev-nulled one legitimate email per 10000
spam messages.

These are 'best behaviour' issues.  I doubt you'll find much issue with
them at all except for your choice of the word, "must".

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?