So what's the *right* way to be a bulkmailer? (Was RE: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS)

2003-04-29 13:48:48
At 10:24 PM -0400 4/28/03, Barry Shein wrote:
And then you go to the members lists and it's some of the worst
spammers in the industry; anyone who doesn't have at least half of
those company names in their spam blocks isn't paying attention.

So a proposal in which we can hold them responsible is a bad idea?

But let's put this another way.

Let's assume that there are hundreds of thousands of businesses that would like to be able to talk to their customers. (Fact.)

Let's assume that some reasonable percentage of their customers would like to hear from them. (Fact. I know, some people on this list never want to receive a receipt notification from Amazon, a bank statement from Citibank, or a notice of sale from EBay, a news item from the New York Times, or the schedule for your kid's Little League--but you're in the minority.)

I would posit that it would be a very bad idea to tell all those senders to manage their own mailing lists off of their own servers. They haven't a clue. They have no sense of how to be responsible citizen. And they have no incentive to cleanup their act. And many of them don't have the money or resources to do it right, even if they wanted to.

So. It seems reasonable that there exist a kind of company that can manage mailings for other companies.

So. Let's say you are that company. You have tens or hundreds of thousands of clients with millions or tens of millions of email addresses.

Some of your clients are liars and cheats. Some of your clients are misguided people who thought that buying a list of names from a big-name company (that should have known better) was okay. Some of your clients got used as a way of mail-bombing innocents. Some of your clients were lied to by their customers. Oh, and let's not forget, some of your clients have been deliberately list-poisoned by people who don't think you should be in business. But many, almost certainly most, of your clients are perfectly honest. Welcome to the real world.

Now forget, just for a minute, all past history of bulk mailers. Start with a blank slate.

What kind of system will make this all work with maximum success? Perfection is not a goal, it's not possible. What's going to give optimal results?

And don't say "confirmed opt-in". That's a policy. Maybe right, maybe wrong. But anyone can say it. How are you going to enforce compliance with the above list managers?

The current system is simple. Blacklist the IP. Blacklisting the IP of a mailing house is like blacklisting the IP of a web site. It works; so long as you don't give a damn about the collateral damage. The site is now unavailable--and so are several hundred sites that were also using the IP address.

Now, I know that this is a popular solution among BL operators. They consider it a way of putting pressure on the ISP. If you hurt the innocents, they'll complain, and the ISP will do something about it. (Of course oddly, the same community feels very differently when we're talking about web filtering software.) That's the model we have for list operators. I think it has two problems. First of all, it's morally wrong. Secondly, it assumes that the list operator actually *can* do something about it. That's not at all clear.

So.  That's the world today.  What's the solution?
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.