Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-05-02 10:06:21
At 10:29 PM 5/1/03 -0400, Ken Hirsch wrote:
From: "Vernon Schryver" <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
From: "Ken Hirsch" <kenhirsch(_at_)myself(_dot_)com>
I think any general solution will depend on identity verification, which is
a key part of my plan.  Anything else has to build on that. ...

That is a religious view in the sense that it is based on unquestioned
and unquestionable assumptions or axioms that cannot be reconciled
with the differing religious views or axioms behind SMTP.  You assume
that accepting mail from perfect strangers is not worthwhile, but SMTP
is built on the opposite assumption.

That's not it at all. I don't have any problem accepting mail from
strangers.  But
without identity if you shut down a spammer one place he will pop up in
another.
I've thought about this a lot and I don't think there's a way around it.

Minor quibble here:  Stranger != Anonymous.
A system could, in theory, only accept email non-anonymous sources
and still accept email from non-anonymous strangers.

What value there is to accepting email from anonymous sources
is a different question from what's the value of accepting email
from strangers.
Which is not to say they aren't both religious questions
(in the sense Vernon was using).

Scott Nelson <scott(_at_)spamwolf(_dot_)com>