Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-05-01 15:31:02
From: "David Koblas" <koblas(_at_)mailfrontier(_dot_)com>

The basic idea is that at the moment we _cannot_ trust any content that is
in an SMTP session (ok, maybe the originating IP address, but that a TCP
thing).  If there was a way in which a single header that would indicate the
true sender of a message, or resender for mailing lists, then systems could
be build which utilize this basic piece of validated information.

Why does it matter that the IP address is a TCP thing instead of
an SMTP thing?  What is the difficulty in using TCP things in SMTP?
(none that I can see)

What is the difference between the "true sender" (whatever that is)
and whatever you get from the IP address, and why do you care?
(I see differences, but none that could be effective for fighting
spam in the real world.)